Thursday, November 13, 2008

please please please, gift ideas?

This entry is relevant to the previous entry below it. In Boston, after every visit to the MFA, I would sit Indian Style, unnoticed, behind and between the book shelves. Next to me would be a stack of books that I couldn't afford from the gift shop. The books there more than 98% of the time are not available at the public library, so I would make the gift shop my own library. I'm so slick, I never got caught. I would take notes, write down the names of artist I wanted to learn more about, and just browse and enjoy the books briefly. It kind of sucked, because had I had the money to buy them I know I would have enjoyed them so much more thoroughly, and had the chance to be influenced by them to true potential.

I bought this 90$ book on Andy Warhol, including works, biography, and interviews. I am well aware that 90$ is absolutely ridiculous for a book. However, I feel in my honest opinion that it was the most valuable 90$ that I have ever spent. I was influenced, intrigued, and driven so much by the works, interviews, and facts. In fact, I still look at the book from time to time when I am in need of some inspiration. It works every time. So much good and inspiration has leaked out of me from reading that book cover to cover a countless amount of times.

I have narrowed it down to these books that I absolute AM DYING TO READ. No, I lied. I need them. I need to read, be inspired, and create."New Illustration Play: Craving for the Extraordinary"
by Victionary
"Fashion Wonderland" by Victionary
(Incorporating Illustration into Fashion)

"Formulas for Now"
by Thames & Hudson

No comments: